Let’s say you talk to a moving company about relocating your office. They give you an estimate. If you ask them if this estimate includes insurance, most companies will say yes. But that shouldn’t be the end of the conversation.
Next, ask your moving company what kind of insurance they offer. This is an important question for a few reasons:
- What many moving companies refer to as “insurance” is technically called “valuation”. Valuation is based in transportation law, and is calculated on a per pound basis. This is different than insurance, which replaces the value of damaged goods as calculated by an insurance company.
- The most common moving valuation included in your quote guarantees you only $.60 per pound of goods damaged while in the mover’s possession.
If $.60 per pound doesn’t seem like the right valuation of your company’s assets, you need to know more about the insurance your moving company provides. Some questions you can ask your mover include:
- Do you offer insurance through an insurance company?
- Will I have to pay a deductible to file my claim?
- What exactly does your moving insurance cover?
When it comes to moving insurance, you need to know everything you can about the protection of your business’s property. A moving company’s insurance policy can also tell you a lot about the company itself. If you’re dealing with commercial movers who offer bare minimum coverage, that might say something about the standard of work they hold themselves to. So don’t be afraid to ask questions! You deserve honest answers. And once you have all the facts, you can make an informed decision, knowing it’s the right one.
Want to Learn More about Commercial Moving Insurance? Here are some great resources:
Moving insurance vs. movers valuation – It pays to know the difference
Frequently Asked Moving Insurance Questions
Work with The Quality Group
At The Quality Group, we’re your commercial relocation specialists. Founded in 1987 in New Orleans, LA, The Quality group serves the gulf states with comprehensive commercial moving services from move planning to furniture installation. No other company puts in the time or preparation that we do to make your move stress and hassle-free.